The most famous capital city in the world needs no introduction. It is a city rife with hundreds of attractions, sights and sounds and things to do. In a city as big London, whether night or day, summer or winter, you are bound to find something to do. But just what are these top things to do while you are in London? We have searched high and low and bring you a comprehensive handy guide below. So whether you are a student, a young family or even a senior person, you will find something to keep you occupied in London anytime of the year.
Things for students
It is all fun and games for students when they hit the streets of London. If you are looking for a thorough checklist of things to do in London then you have come to the right place. Below we give you the best things to do in London during the day featuring the top London city attractions for students.
- Go shopping! With so many shops in London you can shop all day and still not be done. Make sure you don’t miss out on Top shop which is located along Oxford Street.
- Take selfies at all the best tourist attractions – London Eye, Westminster Bridge, Big Ben – it’s free!
- Ride the Drop Dead Ride to Doom if you dare at the London Dungeon
- Catch a movie at over ten of the hottest movie houses in the world!
- Visit museums such as the Albert Hall Museum or the Dickens Museum
- Try a new cuisine, go for a curry over at Brick Lane
- Take a guided tour – you will see much more and won’t have to do much walking
- Check out the galleries especially when it is raining most are free to enter e.g. The National Portrait Gallery, Churchill’s War Rooms, Tate Britain and Dulwich Picture Gallery
Night time turns up the heat on the list of activities youths can engage in. Even if the weather’s not looking up, there are always things to do in London when raining or snowing. Many of these activities will get your heart pumping and body warm in no time almost forgetting that it is winter time!
- If you are a college age student looking to drink the night away on Friday why not go out to a party pub like Soho’s? Grab a couple of mates with you and go out and have a good time.
- Dance your way into the wee hours of the morning at Camden, Leicester Square, Shoreditch or Dalton.
- Check out Brick Lane for curries, The West End Kitchen for modest meals and Kensington for the up market foods
- Go check out the Arcades
- Shop till you drop at Westfield Stratford City
- Go watch an action movie at BFI London IMAX Waterloo
- Enjoy some theatre over at the West End Stage
- Check out street entertainers at the Covent Garden
London covered in snow is magical and a sight that simply has to be experienced to be appreciated. As a student you may be wondering to yourself is there a free thing to do in London during winter? The top winter activities for students include:
- Learning a new skill at the V&A Create! Young People’s Events
- Visit the Science Museum and experience the wonder of 3D flight simulators
- Watch the sun go down atop Europe’s second tallest building at the View at The Shard
- Enjoy a view of the city in a cable car from the Emirates Air Line
- Skate with some mates at the outdoor ice rink by Somerset House
- Don’t miss out on the New Year’s Eve fireworks
- Sledge down Parliament Hill
- Nothing beats Christmas Shopping at the Hyde Park Winter Wonderland
The best loved time of the year is summer for all students! Not only is it a time of fun, sun and rest but it is also a time to catch up with friends and just enjoy being free from classes! Are you free and wondering what things to do in London on Saturday? Keep reading to find out more.
- Sunbathe in one of London’s eight royal parks e.g. Hyde Park, St James Park, Regent’s Park
- Enjoy boating experiences on the Thames River
- Pack a picnic basket and make a day out of it
- Visit Crystal Palace and check out the amazing dinosaurs!
- This one’s for the thrill seekers – go down into the London Tombs at the London Bridge Experience
- Enjoy the hair raising roller coaster rides at London’s numerous theme parks
- Why not try a zip wire ride at Go Ape Trent Park
Things for families
With so many fun filled activities to be enjoyed the sky really is the limit to what you can do in London as a family during the day. Top 20 things to do in London for families include the following:
- Visiting all the must see museums in London e.g. London Motorcycle Museum, London Train Museum and the Dickens Museum
- Enjoy a picnic in Greenwich Park or perhaps scenic Richmond Park
- How about going to meet some famous (wax) people over at Madame Tussaud’s?
- Sight see and grab pictures at all the famous tourist places e.g. Buckingham Palace, Westminster Abbey
- Ride the London Eye and enjoy the stunning view at 135m
- Eat out at Mayfair and Knightsbridge
- Enjoy family shopping on Oxford Street (just make sure you keep your little ones close, this is the by far the busiest shopping street in London!)
- If you love Harry Potter then you will love visiting the Warner Bros. Studio where Harry Potter movies were filmed
At night, with the lights turned on, the city of London takes on a magical twist. Family activities that are best enjoyed during the evening include the following:
- Enjoy the theatre at the West End Show
- Catching a movie – check out Leicester Square. All big shot stars come here to promote their movies (BE WARNED: TICKET PRICES ARE EXPENSIVE)
- Visit a comedy club – a good place to start is the Comedy Store
- Eat out at Planet Hollywood
- Walk around M&Ms World
- Get lost in the waxy world over at Madame Tussaud’s
- Think you can sing? Head on over to the Karaoke Box before 7pm
- Go roller skating at the Roll Out 18 years and under events
London’s winters are cold and wet which makes it doubly hard to get out and enjoy the typical activities enjoyed throughout other months of the year. Don’t let this stop you however. The top winter activities for families are:
- Learning how to DJ as taught by the Young Creative’s at The Roundhouse
- Enjoying festive rides in Hyde Park
- Take your blades and enjoy the ice rink at Somerset House
- Go see Oxford Street lights getting turned on at Christmas time
- Have fun in the snow at any one of the 8 royal parks
- Check out Sea Life London Aquarium
- Enjoy a cuppa hot chocolate at Notting Hill chocolatiers
- Alexandra Palace also has a great ice rink to try out
Summer signifies time in the sun and holiday season for all families. It is probably the best loved time of the year for everyone. Perhaps you find yourself out and about and are wondering if there are things to do in Southbank London? We assure you that there. Here are the top summer activities for families in London.
- Enjoy the fun fair over at Alexandra Palace
- How about making a kite and taking it over to Parliament Hill to fly?
- On a warm and sunny day, why not go out for a swim at any one of London’s outdoor pools?
- Rent a bike for only £2 a day and explore the streets of London together
- Open air theatres at Regent Park are spectacular and not to be missed
- Walk by the riverside, see the book market all at the Southbank
- Attend the Love box Festival
- Organize a barbecue for the family at Wandsworth Park
Things for kids
London boasts hundreds of treats for children of all ages and the beauty about it is that most of these best things to see in London are free. During the day the top things for kids to do in London include:
- Visiting London Motorcycle Museum
- Dickens Museum
- London Train Museum
- Grab a burger at Brixton or Soho
- Take the kids out to the Peter Harrison Planetarium over at the Royal Observatory
- Take the kiddos out to see Peter Pan’s statue at Kensington Gardens
- At St James Park each day you can see the pelicans being fed at 14.30
- Mudchute Farm & Park is a great place to see farm animals
London is probably one of the safer and kid friendly cities in the world. An evening out with mummy and daddy for tiny tots will bring lots of fun fare and laughter to all. There are a lot of fun things to do in London for children at night. Things to do in London at night include:
- The world of magic opens up at the wall scribbled Platform 9 ¾ at King’s Cross for young Harry Potter fans
- Take the kids over to Piccadilly Circus
- Leicester Square showcases great entertainment for one and all
- Covent Garden full of street entertainers is also a favourite with kids
- Book to attend the Ceremony of the Keys at the Tower of London
- Let them wild in Harrod’s Toy Kingdom!
- Taking them to Hoxton Street Monster Supplies will crown you the coolest parent ever
- Catch the last rays of the sun in the London Eye
If you are a parent and wondering what you are going to do with the kids during summer, here are the top ten things to do in London England that will save you the headache of having to think of things to do.
- Nothing says summer quite like enjoying some hot Mexican food over on South Bank
- Alternatively try one of ten burgers from London’s ten best burger houses e.g. Patty & Bun, Burger & Lobster, Honest Burgers
- Have a jaw dropping experience as you marvel at over 700 incredible exhibits at Ripley’s Believe It or Not!
- The Diana, Princess of Wales Memorial Playground boasts a massive wooden make-believe pirate ship were young ones can pretend to be pirates – if just for a day!
- Covet Garden street entertainers are great fun to watch
- Play around in Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park fountains
- V&A Museum of Childhood needs a few days to be fully appreciated
- Visit Trafalgar Square
Children have no fear of the cold and wetness as adults do. They will play out in the snow, make snow angels and have snow fights while you all look on from the comforts of your warm living room sofa. In the heart of London, you will find hundreds of venues set aside for children to enjoy in winter. But just what are some of these top winter activities for kids?
- Do your kids love a particular celebrity? Why not eat out at one of London’s best restaurants in the hope of seeing a star?
- Grab a delicious pizza from Fire & Stone
- Enjoy free lunchtime performances at the Royal College of Music
- Go karting is doubly fun during the winter!
- Get warmed up at the Bay Sixty6 skateboard park
- Catch the latest blockbuster release at BFI London IMAX Waterloo
- Participate in a treasure hunt
- Go see the chocolate wall over at M&M’s world
Activities for seniors
Whether night or day, London is so rife with activity that there are just so many things to experience in London at any given time even for senior citizens.
- How about a tour of Sir John Soane’s Museum or,
- Visit London Shakespeare Museum or,
- Visit London Geological Museum
- Go and try to spot some deer in Richmond Park
- Admire the different tropical plants at the Barbican Conservatory
- Enjoy the wildflowers over by the Phoenix Garden
- Enjoy a peaceful walk along the South Bank
- Get on over to Parliament Hill for fantastic London views
Not to be left out, senior residents and senior tourists can also find amusing activities for them to engage in during the night time. They say you haven’t enjoyed London until you have partied hard into the night. You will be surprised to see senior citizens out in pairs enjoying social activities in the night.
- Enjoy the evening life at a traditional English Pub, why not try Ye Olde Cock Tavern over on Fleet Street.
- Enjoy a fancy dinner at Searcy’s located on the 39th floor of 30 St Mary’s Axe.
- Go watch the Opera
- Attend the Ballet
- Go listen to the London Philharmonic Orchestra
- Enjoy the cool London night air and enjoy the view from the Coca-Cola London Eye
- Join a live audience at the BBC TV show recordings
- The British Library is a quiet sombre place to enjoy in the evening
Night time can be hard for a senior person making it even more difficult to go out and enjoy the winter. Regardless of the cold, you can still find lots of great activities for senior citizens to enjoy.
- Meet up with some friends in the warm confines of the Kensington or Knightsbridge
- A game of roulette on a cold winter night never hurt anybody so go out to a casino!
- Enjoy a world class steak at Angus Steak House
- Are you bored of what’s on TV? Go and watch a real life court drama at The Old Bailey
- Grab a few of your buddies and head on over to one of several bowling alleys in London
- Enjoy a game in one of the locked rooms at the Escape Rooms
- Take a London Eating Tour and go down memory lane as you discover the history of food
- Always watched Wimbledon Tennis matches? Take a guided tour of the Wimbledon Lawn Tennis Museum
Summer is a fun time for everyone. It doesn’t matter if one is young or slightly older, London still hold many attractions for everyone. The top things to do in summer for senior people include:
- Go craft shopping at Greenwich
- Look for antiques over at Camden
- Keen to try a new look at 65? Head on over to the Toni & Guy Academy for a free haircut
- Are you an artist but have never ventured to try having your work exhibited? Why not try exhibit at the Tate Modern?
- Never attended a film premier before? You are never too old. Head on over to Leicester Square for an upcoming movie.
- The Hampton Court Palace affords you a great afternoon of fun as you try to make your way out of the exhilarating maze
- Enjoy an evening stroll from Marble Arch heading towards Hyde Park Corner and admire the beautiful sports cars
- Always wanted to know more about the BBC? Take a BBC Shows & Tour.
If you are looking for a property in central London then do not hesitate to